Trustworthy digital repository
We have created the first trustworthy digital repository (TDR) for personal data. A TDR is an organization set up to preserve digital data forever that satisfies a stringent list of requirements developed by the main governmental and research libraries in the world. We are implementing these requirements thoroughly to comply with industry standards and thus ensure the safekeeping of your data. Our current infrastructure and policies include the following:
- Every story and file is instantly replicated to servers in two U.S. states.
- We perform backups of all data to servers in three dispersed locations in the U.S. and Ireland.
- All data are stored with 99.999999999% durability, meaning that each of the three data sets is itself backed up by multiple copies.
- Our servers check the accuracy and completeness of your data and files regularly, so that we can replace corrupt data with uncorrupted versions from backup copies.
- When current file formats become obsolete, we migrate all files with approved file formats to a new format, in order to keep them accessible in the long term.
- As a non-profit corporation, the Foundation has an unlimited life and cannot be forced to go out of business.
- Our sole mission is to save your data forever, and all our assets are dedicated by law to exclusively serve our mission.
- Our staff and directors and advisors are well qualified to oversee the technical, financial and organizational aspects of a TDR.
- Most of your financial contribution is invested in an endowment fund, which is restricted to pay out only investment income, thus preserving the value of your contribution forever.
- As a result, you pay only once, and the investment income covers all costs of data preservation in the future.
- Our administrative expenses are very low, accounting for less than 0.5% of fund value annually, and no money is diverted for profit taking or taxes.
As a result, your memories are protected for the long-term, and we guarantee your data forever.